Every year thousands of nurses from around the world decide they would like to practice as registered nurses in the U.S. To obtain a license to practice as a registered nurse, and to obtain an occupational visa (Green Card) to come to the U.S. to practice as a registered nurse, foreign-educated nurses must sign up for, and successfully complete, the CGFNS Certification Program administered by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS), and the VisaScreen program administered by ICHP, a division of CGFNS.

Nurses must meet and satisfy the requirements of the State Board of Nursing in the state for which he or she intends to practice nursing. Additional limiting criteria may vary among the state’s department of professional regulation. Certain advanced practitioners with advanced practice skill sets and certifications, management skills, or practice in a specialty area may be able to enter the U.S. on the H-1B, while concurrently submitting a petition for permanent legal resident status.