Several opportunities exist in which Allied Health Care professionals can immigrate to the U.S. Certain advanced practitioners with advanced practice skill sets and certifications, management skills, or practice in a specialty area may be able to enter the U.S. on the H-1B, while concurrently submitting a petition for permanent legal resident status.

Health Care Certification (VisaScreen)

Immigration laws and regulations now require a health care certification for all allied healthcare professionals listed in the statute, including: (1) licensed practical nurses, licensed vocational nurses, and registered nurses; (2) occupational therapists; (3) physical therapists; (4) speech language pathologists and audiologists; (5) medical technologists (clinical laboratory scientists); (6) physician assistants; and (7) medical technicians (clinical laboratory technicians).

The Health Care Certification/VisaScreen is intended to verify that the foreign allied healthcare professional’s education, training, license, and experience are equivalent to those of an American allied healthcare professional.